Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Holiday Treats

Happy December Girl Talk readers! I am Sarah from Coffee&Glitter. Today we are talking holiday treats! I don't know about you but J and I have a big family so we have lots of holiday parties to attend starting with this weekend. 
I have always been a big baker around the holidays though, I tend to go a little crazy. We can all agree though that a homemade and edible gift is the best! I just can't resist all the cute cookie cutters, snowflake sprinkles and peppermint influenced recipes. There is just something about being in the kitchen around the holidays that makes a house feel like a home. 

My dad is the cutest of all the dads and his one request this year was that we each make him something for Christmas. He is a complex man..and complicated. He hates when we spend money on him and if he needs or wants anything, he will buy it for himself before anyone else gets a chance. The one thing that he is consistent on however, is his sweet tooth. 

When it comes to sweets, this man is simple:
-Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia or Pistachio, Pistachio
-Banana Bread (which I shared here)
-Chocolate covered nuts

For him and our party hosts, we are going to make:
Milk Chocolate Covered Toasted Almonds with Sea Salt

I know this is a pretty common sense recipe but, I wanted to share my version with you because I added a few extra steps so, here it goes:

What You Will Need
-22.5 oz (two bags) of Chocolate Chips (I used Ghiradelli Milk Chocolate Chips)
-3 1/2-4 cups raw almonds
-1/3 cup sea salt
-coconut oil spray
-wax paper

What You Will Do 
1. preheat the oven to 250* and line two cookie sheets with wax paper
2. spread almonds onto cookie sheets evenly and lightly spray with the coconut oil
3. toast almonds for 10-15 minutes checking frequently
4. while toasting, start melting the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl in 30 second intervals. 
5. once both are complete, pour the toasted almonds into the melted chocolate and stir until mixed
6. with a teaspoon, start spooning out clusters of chocolate covered almonds (about 4 per spoonful)
7. continue until tray is full
8. sprinkle each cluster with a tiny pinch of sea salt
9. place trays in fridge to set
10. once hardened, place a few in decorative treat bags and hand out to friends or family

Variations
-Dark Chocolate& Cayenne Pepper covered almonds
-Milk Chocolate and Orange covered almonds
-Dark Chocolate and Raspberry covered almonds

These are also perfect for a last minute idea for a gift!

What is your favorite quick holiday treat?

No comments :