Monday, October 20, 2014

I Can Do Anything

This past weekend I completed a 22.26 mile hike (we thought it was only going to be 20 miles!) in Hanging Rock to raise money and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis. This was the first Raleigh Chapter Xtreme Hike and we raised almost $42,000. It was the hardest physical activity I had ever challenged myself to complete. I did it for two reasons...my cousin Wells and for myself. Timothy and I ultimately decided to partake in this hike because we wanted to try and make a difference in the research for finding a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. However, I also wanted to take this opportunity to try something I had never done before and something that was out of my comfort zone. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a pretty predictable person and hiking 20+ miles outside with bugs, snakes and who knows - is definitely out of my comfort zone. Since I lost my mom in April I have tried to take full advantage of the life I have been given, so participating in this hike gives me a wonderful feeling that I am challenging myself at new levels and that I am raising awareness and money to give Wells and others living with Cystic Fibrosis the chance to take full advantage of their life. 

Now onto all the photos from this weekend :)




Since I completed this challenge I feel like I can do anything and want to continue to challenge myself at new levels. There are tons of runs and races around the Raleigh area and I have always wanted to try most of them but have felt I wouldn't be able to complete them, but since I was able to complete these 20+ miles of trails it shows me I can push my self to levels I never knew I could reach.

I have complied a list of most known races that go on in Raleigh and the surrounding areas throughout the rest of the 2014 year and into 2015. Now I will definitely not partake in all of these races but these are some of the races I would like to finish and cross off my list. 

Just to clear up a few questions, here are the distances of some of the races.


5K = 3.1 miles
10K = 6.2 miles
Half Marathon = 13.1 miles
Marathon = 26.2 miles

October 25, 2014 - Raleigh Zombie Walk - Raleigh, NC
October 26, 2014 - Hallowed Half Marathon & 10K - Wake Forest, NC
November 1, 2014 - Color Run 5K - Charlotte, NC
November 16, 2014 - SPCA Santa Paws 5K - Raleigh, NC
December 6, 2014 - Jingle Bell Run/Walk - multiple events - Raleigh, NC
February 2015 - Krispy Kreme Challenge - 5 miles - Raleigh, NC
March 7, 2015 - BB&T Corporate Cup - 5k & 1/2 Marathon - Charlotte, NC
March 15, 2015 - Tobacco Road Marathon & 1/2 Marathon - Cary, NC
April 12, 2015 - Rock 'n' Roll Marathon & 1/2 Marathon - Raleigh, NC (this is one I really want to do, but unfortunately this race falls on the same day my mom passed away last year so I will be spending the day with the family)
May 2015 - Ironman - Raleigh, NC
August 2015 - Color in Motion 5K - Raleigh, NC

Today I am linking up with
Join the Gossip and I Have A Degree In This! for Monday Morning Gossip
Champagne and Suburbs and B Loved Boston for Weekending
Dateless in Dallas and Showered with Design for Weekend Recap




If any of you NC bloggers know of any good races let me know!






4 comments :

Brianne said...

Congrats on the hike! Thanks for the inspiration to run more races too! I have been meaning to run one & just never sign up. It's been close to a year...which is sad considering my goal for the year was at least a 5k once a month.

Pamela {Sequins and Sea Breezes} said...

Wow! Get it girl! That is so crazy. Congrats to you on that! You're making me want to get out and do more!!

<3, Pamela
sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

Meghan at Champagne & Suburbs said...

Great job! I love the Jingle Bell 5K! It always sets the mood for Christmas for me. I'm doing the Tobacco Road half this year. The Rock-n-Roll half was the hardest race I've ever done. The Ridgewood Turkey Trot is awesome, and the St. Paddy's 8K is also a favorite. I have done the Bull City Race Fest because of the food trucks afterwards and the City of Oaks. xo

Ashley Stephenson said...

Thanks!! I will have to look into some of those! Sounds fun!