Thursday, August 25, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Dorm Life

Last weekend we moved my little baby sister into her first college dorm at  UNC. It was a bittersweet moment. I am so proud of the young woman she has become but I miss that little annoying sister days too. As some of you may know my mom passed away in 2014 and ever since then I have found myself having more "mom" emotions about my sister than "sister" emotions. 

I cried when I woke up and it was her first day of Senior year, I got teary eyed when I saw her all dressed up for her Senior prom and I was nervous for her college decision and I felt like a mama hen letting her little bird fly when I waved goodbye to her at UNC.

But I know she will enjoy her time at UNC and she will make some amazing memories, just like I did at college. Dorm life was so much fun! I loved getting to know all the girls on my hall and in my dorm! I went to an all girls school, Meredith College, and while you had boy hours it was nice to know you could walk down the hall in a towel and not worry about a boy seeing you (if it wasn't boy hours). If it was you always knew there was a boy on the hall because majority of the girls would yell "BOY ON THE HALL" so everyone would know.

Freshman year, which was 2009, I lived in a suite style dorm. I had one roommate and a connecting bathroom to another room with two other girls. My mom and sister helped me move in and get it all decorated! I remember walking into my bare dorm and being so excited to start this whole living with a roommate and doing my own laundry, except I only lived about 10 minutes from home so I took most of my laundry home!


Our dorm room was set up where the beds were close to the floor in a corner and you had a little couch cushion on one side that had extra storage. In between the beds against the back wall there were our desks, they didn't move either. We had two large closets in one corner and our dressers against the opposite wall of the desks. In the photo above you can see where our sink and mirror and to the left was the joint bathroom with a shower and sink. I loved that bathroom because it had heat lamp lights, so during the winter it was amazing!


Sophomore year, which was 2010, we had suite style dorms but in a different building and they were a little nicer. I roomed with my same roommate and had 2 new suite mates that we met freshman year!


Sophomore year was a lot nicer and different. We had beds that could move and change the height. We started with our beds lofted and desk under the bed, but a few months into it we changed the entire room around! Because let's be honest it was annoying coming up late and trying to gracefully climb up those giant beds!

What was your dorm room like?
Don't miss a thing ~ Follow along!
bloglovin } { instagram }  { facebook } { twitter } { pinterest }
(This month's advertisement)

2 comments :

Unknown said...

Aww this really touched my heart. I'm an only child and have not lost a parent so I'm a little choked up imagining both. I had an insane roommate experience...filled with a girl I pray to never see again in life and another that I'd want beside me at my wedding. Freshmen year I went all out and EVERYTHING was coordinated. I loved decorating the space and adding my personal touches. I hope your sister has an AMAZING time at UNC!!

Jennifer L | Modern Chic said...

I had my own room my freshman year and it was fun decorating it with cool posters, fun quilt and room decor. Then had roommates/housemates 2nd year and beyond. Still so much fun to really spice up the space and make it our own.